Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What F.I.T. is looking for

Not to make you nervous if this is your first time applying, but, when you apply to this school, You are competing with people from all over the world for a chance to get into this school. At any point after you apply and you think for a second to send in something second rate (like I did), keep this fact in mind to push yourself harder. Don't even bother to shell out the forty dollar application fee if you aren't going to give it one 100%.

The best advice I can offer is this, if it's humanly possible, go to Portfolio Day if it is scheduled anywhere near you in the coming year. You can have your portolio reviewed by someone at F.I.T. This is particularly helpful if you're like me and don't live anywhere near NY and your college doesn't offer any classes on Fashion Design. Regardless of whether the feedback is good or bad the main purpose for going is that they will show you a sample portfolio of an accepted student that will give you the gist of what they want.



Your F.I.T. application will consist of at minimum 12 sketches(there are some specific requirements for some of them, but you can still have some random sketches that show off your skill and style), what you sew for the Garment Test Portion and Essay Questions in addition to an essay you have to write about yourself before your application is completely processed. Also, after you get your instructions, you will be granted a certain amout of time to have the work done and turned in.  So be advised : Start Your Application BEFORE you apply.



It's essentially this
  • Clear Sketches* - with full body front and back views
             Notice I said 'clear' your level of artistic skill helps, but your not expected to be a professional artist
             (they do accept computer generated work as well)


For me, the idea of this portion of the application filled me with dread. After going to Portfolio Day in October (Hartford CT) and seeing the sample I knew this was the portion of my application that was my downfall in 09.
I'd previously dabbled in sewing but hadn't touched a machine in years (and honestly didn't want to).

Here's what I did this year.

  •  Garment Test - From my previous dabbling, I already had a dress form. (I paid $150 for it, but ordered it out of a catalog, I probably could have gotton it for $99 or less if it was used, so shop around.) I also used a lot of fabric that I had in my closet. Which was kind of a lot. But most of it was like old lady fabric so I did go to the only place in my city that actually sells fabric, read: Le WalMart. This is also the place where I purchased my patterns.

I can't stress enough, if you aren't an experienced seamstress Do Not try to make an outfit without using a pattern. You really don't need to be intimidated by a pattern. This is why I recommend if your a novice to start with a Simplicity pattern, the pieces are cut simply and the directions have pictures and are easy to follow.
Simplicity also has some Project Runway patterns that have some pretty cute styles (I bought two) but the patterns are much more complicated than the basics, so if your unfamiliar with sewing try something simpler first, because you will get frustrated. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm a novice in sewing, but have really strong art skills. Would it matter if I use all easy vogue patterns in my garment test?

    ReplyDelete