Friday, August 31, 2012

Tips and Tricks: 2012/13 F.I.T (AAS Fashion Design) Portfolio Requirements

Some of my info is a little dated. I see F.I.T. shortened the requirements A LOT from when I applied.
I may add to it more if I think of anything, but I'm just throwing out a few ideas for you all working with the new requirements.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments:)

--also, I added a Google translator,  hopefully if you need it, it will work for you.


PART ONE: Design Test

PROJECT ONE:  MIX-AND-MATCH DESIGNS

1.  Create a mood/inspiration page for the following mix-and-match designs. The mood page should include an image(s) that has inspired you to create these designs. Include a short written explanation of how the designs have been inspired by the mood page image(s).  Also list the destination and season of the year in which these designs will be worn.

2.  Draw original garment designs in color using the medium of your choice. Show mix-and-match separates that work together.
  • design a jacket
  • design a top (use the top twice, once on each figure)
  • design a pant
  • design a skirt
Sketch the designs in color on two figures. Include back views of the garments on a figure or as a flat sketch. Attach actual fabric swatches and identify the fabrics on the front of the sketches. NOTE: Original artwork can be computer generated.  REMINDER:  Only color copies are to be submitted for this project.

A mood board kind of seems self explanatory, but you can pick a city and season and throw in landmarks from that city, famous people etc. I would avoid Paris, they probably get A LOT of those, but do it if you have a unique take.
 You could also pick a movie(s), but make sure if you pick more than one movie or place, or whatever you choose to do, let it compliment each other. A mood board is suppose to show them the focus of your ideas. (Don't do anything lazy like just rip out a couple advertisements from Vogue and glue them to board)

*An advanced option, if you want to take the time, is considering allowing you mood board to tell the story of the woman your designing for.


PROJECT TWO:  FASHION DESIGN ARTWORK

Submit four sketches of your original fashion design artwork.
  • Draw original designs in color using the medium of your choice. NOTE:  Original artwork can be computer generated. Include a short written explanation of the inspiration.  Design sketches are to be on full-length fashion figures with back views.
  • Include 2 inch x 2 inch fabric swatches on the front of each sketch, identify the type of fabric (e.g. 100% wool gabardine). 
  • Include a short written explanation of the inspiration.
  • NOTE:  Only color copies of your sketches are to be submitted.  
~~I know in my other post I advise you to do a mini collection, but under these guidelines, not sure if it's necessary. In my portfolio, we could submit up to 10 looks, but they've slashed it by more than half. So if I were you, here I would put showstoppers, evening looks, avant guard looks etc.

PART TWO: Sewing Test 
PROJECT THREE:  GARMENT SAMPLES

Submit photographs of a maximum of three garments you have sewn (include front and back views). Samples are to demonstrate knowledge of construction. Originality, creativity, and design aesthetic are valued. Clothing is to be photographed on a person or dress mannequin. Garments can be created from commercial patterns or you can develop your own patterns or drape the design. Garment examples should be sewn. Do not show existing garments that have just been decorated. <--LOL I didn't write that!! Wow.

Here are the actual patterns I used for my portfolio. Pretty plain right? But it's sportswear, and its straight forward. Check out my full portfolio page to see how it turned out.





 ~~They've dropped this down to 3 looks from the 10 I was allowed to use. MAXIMIZE your chances! They say 3 photos but don't limit you to showing one piece per photo. Show them what you can do! I.E. Do top and bottom looks for each photo, unless doing dresses. (You don't HAVE to do sportswear, you you're good at evening looks, do evening). The main thing is stay away from things that are too generic, t shirt dresses, etc. Classic looks always work, womens suits, blouses, dresses. When doing you're own looks from scratch, be careful to not go beyond your skill level. They will know. 
Take your time, don't be afraid to do it over if you have to, keep it clean, neat and well constructed.

*I would only show 1 separate if it was exceptional regarding design and construction.


PART THREE: Written Essay 
In 250 words or less, provide an example of when your point of view differed from a teacher or employer during an evaluation of your performance. How did you handle the situation?  
I might have mentioned this before, but I'll say it again, even if you haven't ever had this situation happen to you, explain how you would handle it if it did happen. Here's a tip, don't say you know you're always right:) They are trying to weed out the divas and troublemakers with this question.

Hope this info helps, as always
Good Luck

RC

39 comments:

  1. Thank you for this.. I'm actually applying for spring 2013. The only thing is that they said the computers are slow or damage and the ID and password won't be available until mid sept. not happy about that, because it slow the process. But I would like to hear your subjection with the mix and match design. I was surprised they only want 3 garments now, and on part two the same thing. I remember doing 10 design when I applied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was pretty straight forward. Let me know what you would like a suggestion on. I wouldn't worry about logging into myFit, just start working on your portfolio, you may find you want to change things, so you want to make sure you have enough time.

      Delete
  2. how many original designs can we submit now for the design test?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....... shit, when I first applied it was way more than that!

      Delete
    2. I know, when I applied it was ten. They REALLY narrowed down their requirements.

      Delete
  3. Hey Rachel, big fan of the blog! It's so helpful. I'm applying for Spring 2013. I know the portfolio is due November 1st. My question is in your experience have you heard that applying early increases your chances of getting in? I'm about halfway through my portfolio but I know there are pieces I want to change/modify. I feel like I'm never satisfied so I'm trying to decide whether I should hand it in early or keep working on it til the deadline?

    Your help would be very much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really good question.
      I've been in your boat most definitely, and there's a good possibility you'll never be quite satisfied with what you send in, even after you send it.

      My advice is to compromise a bit, if it's due by Nov 1, send it in on Oct 15, giving you one more month to work on it. And here's why: you could drive yourself crazy, lol. I really don't know if you send it in early, if it actually increases your chances, but it can't hurt. And plus it takes the stress off of you to be able to move on. Good luck to you.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My work for my portfolio got sidetracked over the summer due to a broken hand is there anything you can suggest for me to have the best portfolio possible and still not have a time crunch at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry my computer wouldn't let me reply. I'm a senior in high school so Fall 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well I hope you have applied by now. :)
      You do have some time, for me the garment test was more of a pain than sketching. Start that (sewing) as soon as you can
      I would do the garment test and the essay first, then the sketching. But that's just a personal choice. If sewing is easier for you, save it last and do the sketching first.

      Delete
  7. Hi I have a question what did you put your sketches and garment photos in? Because FIT doesn't want it in a portfolio case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I applied online so I sent in scans through myFIT

      are you going to the interview?

      Delete
    2. No I have to mail it in and was going to put my sketches and stuff in a portfolio case but because I can't idk wat to put them in

      Delete
    3. hmm. well I looked around, the best advice I can offer is to use small binder clips to hold everything together.
      you can find them at Staples

      http://www.staples.com/Binder-Clips/cat_CL10100

      I tried it myself and you can lay them flat and they'll still hold the papers without sticking through your envelope

      I'm pretty sure I remember them not wanting you to staple things either. This is one of those things F.I.T. makes too hard. If they Don't want you to use a portfolio case they should just tell you what to use. Oy.

      Delete
    4. Lol thank you and where did you scan your sketches at?

      Delete
    5. I have a printer/scanner on my PC

      Delete
  8. Hi, im applying for fall 2013.
    it says:
    Submit photographs of a maximum of three garments you have sewn (include front and back views)...
    so do 3 photos...but put multiple garments in the photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. multiple garment = a full look like a jacket and skirt and blouse - yes this is how I would do it


      For the sake of confusion I wouldn't put more than one person/figure in the photo

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I am applying for fall 2013 (1year AAS).
    So, mix and match (2) + original design (4) = total 6 sketches?

    And, Im making only two garments for the project part two.
    Those are both dresses. Do you think this will be fine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes on the 6 sketches.

      For the sake of argument I would do three looks since they ask for the three photos, but if your dresses are exceptional, show two photos of those looks with a close up detail of construction from one of them as your 3rd photo. But my advise would be to do 3 looks.

      Delete
  11. can you give some examples of season/destination? I did an egyptian inspired design test but I'm confused as to what they want. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. examples would be - Spring/Tokyo or Fall/South Africa

      you can still keep the Egyptian inspired looks, just say they are for Egypt and tell them the season.
      And make sure it doesn't look too costume-y

      Delete
  12. Heys, i really don't understand what we have to do for

    Project Two: Fashion Design Artwork
    Submit four sketches of your original fashion design artwork.
    1. Draw original designs in color using the medium of your choice. Note original artwork can be
    computer generated. Design sketches are to be on full-length fashion figures with back views.
    2. Include 2 inch x 2 inch fabric swatches on the front of each sketch, identify the type of fabric (e.g.
    100% wool gabardine).
    3. Include a short written explanation of the inspiration.
    4. Note Only color copies of your sketches are to be submitted

    Do we have to draw another 4 different figures front and back or what ? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello rachel!

    I started reading your blog yesterday, and i have to tell you, it is amazing!

    I was preparing for the Fall 2013 portfolio and stumbled upon your blog, and it has cleared lot many doubts ! But I still have a doubt, more of an apprehension I guess. Yes, the sewing test. I have very strong drawing skills, and I am almost am done with the sketches. But my sewing skills aren't that great. I am working on my dresses.

    What I wanted to clarify is, will simple dresses be enough to submit for the FIT application? I want to make it through the selection very badly! and do not want to mess up my chances.

    Thanks for reading Rachel! Once again Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rachel! I want to know if the mood page can be handmade or if it has to be digital?

    ReplyDelete
  15. One question for the sewing test... I know it's "sewing" test, but I have this really badass piece I constructed out of recycled product... So it's not "sewn" per-say, but it is well constructed and cool. Would something like that be rejected?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey!
    I'm applying for Fall 2013. I stumbled upon your blog after being rejected for the second time, and I'm starting to realize where I went wrong. Let's hope that the 3rd time's the charm! :)
    As for my question, my portfolio isn't due until February 1st, but I was planning on turning it in within the week. Do you think it matters how soon you turn it in, or is it okay as long as it's in by the deadline? Because I just found out that there is a portfolio day I could go to, would it be worth going to if it's right before the deadline?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey guys, FIT 4th semester fashion design here. I'm actually getting ready for my AAS show, and ended up here for some reason... anyways...

    and just a bit of trivia for you applicants out there -- honestly, you only need to be good at either drawing or sewing to get in. being good at both is great, of course, but you'd be surprised after getting in at the lack of talent - cough - in this school.

    when doing your sketches, make sure your figures are PROPORTIONAL, and WELL CLOTHED. also try to make the faces on your girls attractive, preferably with no expression. google some famous designers and skim through their look books for model poses and inspiration.

    when sewing your garments, PLEASE DON'T SEND FABRIC AND PATTERNS TO THE SEAMSTRESS. It will only hurt you in the long run. FIT is not very strict with sewing skills. Really! in the first semester we learn the very basics about sewing, starting from how to thread the industrial machine.

    I knew many girls that cheated their way in, and admitted to it. honestly, though, if you have to rely on others just to get past the threshold, what makes you think you can survive an entire four years on your own? most of those girls are either dropouts now or they had to retake classes, and are not going to graduate on time. some won't even be able to make it into the bachelors program.

    The biggest defining point in you as a designer is your HONESTY. let that come through in your work. if you apply to be a designer, then do just what the word says. there's influence, and then there's plagiarism. do not plagiarize, for it WILL come and nip you in the butt.

    FIT generally looks for students that have a strong sense of self in their designs, so try to let that shine through in your application. not only will that help get you into the school, it will also bring you to the top of your entire grade.

    As far as technicals go, timing does not matter for portfolios. i turned mine in within the last 10 minutes and still got in. sewing is sewing. they look at your sewing skills. they do not care about your design skills in your sewing portion... save that for your art portion. mood page could be photoshopped, illustrator, hand made, whatever, as long as it defines your collection and introduces your inspiration to the judges. draw your designs and make copies of them. submit only copies.

    FIT is becoming more and more creative and competitive year by year. many more avant garde kids are emerging. good luck, little fishies! and hope to see you all for orientation--

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey could you please give me your email? :D I have a few questions to ask you. I hope you don't mind. ^^

      Delete
  18. Can you text me or email me, cause I need help on this alot, I dont get it much, more picture would be help, please contact me at: 570-209-5544 . I'm senior in highschool and apply for Fall 2014 , Fashion design.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, I just come to USA about 3 year, im senior in highschool now and pllay for Fashion design (Fall 2014). Please contact me at 570-209-5544, I need your help alot, cause i didnt get it much, i need some examples and photos. But overall, please text me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello RC. I'm applying for FIT Fall 2014, and I'm surprisingly having trouble creating a mood/inspiration page. Do you you think that maybe you can show show examples of the mood/inspiration page?

    Also for the Fashion Design Artwork (Project Two) we can basically just show any of our works that we designed? Thank you for responding.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Rachel! Thanks for all the advise in your blog. I am applying for fall 2014, I finished my sketches but my biggest concerned right now are the fabric swatches. I am doing e-portfolio, can I download fabric swatches from the internet and copy- paste or do they need to be actual fabrics? Also I thought I needed to look for printed fabrics but I have seen some portfolios in the internet, and I noticed that people are attaching the actual fabrics on plain color, and then design and color prints on the garments. Please advise!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Rachel! Would you mind reading my essay for the application and reviewing some of my designs? Im new to fashion sketching and would love some tips from a fit alumni!

    my email: dyerrasner@gmail.com

    thanks girl! (: My Names Rasner

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi i sent my portfolio 20 minutes late because the portfolio websites keeps crashing… i pressed the button like 10 times already and it stays on the same page. does this mean it has sent or is there supposed to be a confirmation page after you hit the send button? I don't understand this is so stressful…

    ReplyDelete