Thursday, November 24, 2011

Essay Tips (Updated with Formatting Tips 12/29)

************UPDATED 9/5/12  check out my Tip and Tricks for F.I.T.'s new guidelines Click Here

Sorry for posting this so late. But here I am. I wanted to post my essay, spelling errors and all, but I can't find it anywhere, which sucks. If I do come across it I will definitely post it. 


 I'm going to keep my tips simple, I realize not everyone is a writer, and there's nothing wrong with that. But a lot of times it can be confusing about what to leave in and take out, so we are going to talk about that and we are going to talk about some essay pitfalls you need to avoid. Overall this essay, particularly if you aren't doing a face to face interview, is the only time you have to express yourself in words, so that they know who you are, meaning you're essentially pitching yourselves to these people, and keep in mind its always competition.


Do put in
  • Extra curricular activities you're involved in that have to do with anything creative, fashion or business.
  • If you've been rejected by F.I.T. or another fashion school in the past. This might sound strange, and I did mull over whether I would include it my essay, but I said screw it, and put it in. I actually molded my essay around it, and what I'd learned from being rejected, and the drive I had put into my current portfolio.
  • Academic excellence -this wasn't really relevent for me, lol, but you can put in if you have it. Remember this application is mainly about your portfolio.
  • Designers that have inspired you, and what about their business/house that inspires you.
Don't Put in, aka Cliche standard
  • Don't say you have a 'passion for fashion'. This might be irrelevant advice for most of you, who might even be giggling, but please, leave it out.
  • Don't say you're the best designer ever, and litter your essay with grand proclamations about how you will singlehandedly change the world of fashion. We got it, you're the next Chanel, but to them it may say that you're ego is too big to listen to your professors, and future employers.
  • I also wouldn't say anything about Project Runway or any fashion related show that might have aired on MTV. That's just personal advice, lol, I really don't have anything to back it up aside from it annoying me if I read something like that. 
Here's a gray area - Talking about hardships in your personal life. Perhaps something personal led you to deciding on a career in design. I think it's okay to mention it, but don't harp, one or two sentences will suffice and then get to the design portion. Remember, they read thousands of these things, and who even knows if they read each word. You may be sincere about your experience, but you don't want to come off as a whiner, or worse an opportunist looking for pity due to poor life circumstances. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, but these guys aren't your friends, and it's all about personal perception.

*Also, aside from reading it to someone (that's a better writer than you) look back over it after about a week, you will be surprised at what you catch, like spelling mistakes you never saw before, or maybe the sentences don't flow correctly. Or it could be possible that you wrote it at 3a.m. and it's all gibberish written in all KANYE CAPS.

When they read your essay, they need to walk away feeling like your going to be a solid, hard working student that has your head on straight. Don't ramble, stick to your point and wrap it up.

Here's a template you might want to use to format your essay
1. Intro: what you're are currently doing i.e. High School Student, former college student coming back, adult etc, also put any design experience, internships, other fashion related classes/experience you have

2. Why you love fashion and or chose to apply to F.I.T. (what inspired you, was your mom a seamstress? Have you admired Alexander McQueen's work, loved fashion since you were a child by natural gravitation)

3. What you've done with you're portfolio (here is where I would put if you've been rejected in the past, or if its your first time applying ) be careful here, just give them an overall idea of how hard you worked and anything special you did like construction on your garments etc

4. What you're plans are if you become an F.I.T. student and where you plan to take your career post graduation ( plans on starting your own line, working for another label, also mention if you want to continue on to get a BA in design) *I think F.I.T. has a program to transfer to Central St. Martins for a Masters, but double check before you mention the other school, and of course only mention it only if you Really plan to do it.

If you have any questions or feel like something wasn't addressed feel free to drop me a line in the comments section, as always good luck ~ RC


19 comments:

  1. I just got rejected from FIT and to say the least I am pissed and even more pissed at the admission committee. But i guess I should be more pissed at myself, because despite I went all out on my portfolio I think their decision came down to my grades. In HS I was a b student and didn't go to college right after but instead attended a cuny school 2 yeas later. I felt miserable in that school and did terrible. I spent a year there and never passed a single class because I always dropped the class or just stopped going.

    At this point I feel as though no matter how great my portfolio is the fact that i did so bad in school gives them the impression that I am not hardworking or not serious about pursuing an education in fashion.

    Do you know anyone who attends FIT who did terrible in a previous school attended. At this point I just feel like giving up and just paying for the continuing education classes at FIT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi hon, sorry about the rejection, trust I know how that feels. Drop me a line at rachelcaderomance@gmail.com when you get this, I have some questions I need to ask you

    RC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are these tips for all essays or just design students? I'm applying for the one year associate in FMM, and in my essay i mention my "passion for fashion." I haven't submitted the essay yet, so do you suggest take that out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I mainly use my experience applying for Fashion Design. All the advice I offer is of course just suggestion. If you feel it's good by all means leave it in. As long as you follow up with WHY you have a passion for it, I don't think it should be a problem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rachel.

    I have been rejected for the 2nd time for the spring 2012. ALthough I found out that i can still apply for Fall 2012, which I am going to apply again. I was hoping if I could perhaps show you my fashion design and perhaps hear your criticism or advice. I really want to get into F.I.T. Also, I live in NYC and still deciding whether or not to attend the In-Person Interview. If i do decide I would like to know what advice you have for Interview? Which is on Jan. 28, 2012 and I have till right now basically 2 months to do everything. I am not sure if I should use my fashion design that i presented or make a new collection. Which today, I was at the MET ART and got inspired. ANy information would help a lot.

    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to find someone to write about the in person interview for me, that's one part of the process I didn't go through. you can send me your portfolio at rachelcaderomance@gmail.com, and we'll take it from there

    rc

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im currently working on the portfolio essay. Are there any tips on that? and also my GPA(HighSchool) right now is no where near a 3.0 its like 2.2-2.5 and I'm also afraid that I'm not going to recieve that "big great packet" Any advice ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ebsz, sorry it took me so long to respond. These are the essay tips above that I'm posting? Was there anything I didn't discuss that you're having trouble with? I know they changed some of the requirements since I applied in 09, so let me know. RC

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm so glad i found this.now that i read it i have some MAJOR proof reading to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Rachel!

    I love that you put up this blog, you've given me so much confidence for my submission for the Spring 2013 semester but I do have questions.

    1. Could you please look over my essay to tell if it is sufficient enough? My e-mail is rhousey91@gmail.com

    2. Do the Fashion Design applicants have to do an interview?

    3. For the photo's of our sewn garment, can it just be 3 photos of the same garment? Like, 1 front pic, a back pic and a 3/4 pic?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was rejected @ FIT for a non design degree and am reapplying for the fall 2013 term. I am so glad to have found this. Even though I am not going into design fashion is my passion (haha) and incorporating who and what influences me and having an outline for the essay is a start.
    For me I know my grades from college (years before) were the reason I didn't get in. So I have been taking courses thru SUNY online and 90% of those will transfer to the degree I intend on getting at FIT. SO once I get in I will be 40% done as it stands, time not wasted.
    Plus it makes for a better essay ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rachel,

    My name is Lucy, and I am applying for fall 2013. Thank you very much for giving so many helpful information. Do you mind looking over my essay and my works for the portfolio to give me some advice? Thank you very much.

    My email is : lucywanju@yahoo.com.tw

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rachel,
    I am Ayusha. I'm applying to FIT for spring 014. Would you help review my essay and suggest to make it better? I have very little knowledge about college essay so it would help a lot.
    Thank you.
    My email address is ayusha.rajbhandari@g,ail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Rachel,
    I am Ana. I'm also applying for spring 2014 and I have already send my essay but I dont feel confident, so I want to send it to you to.
    Please help me with your thoughts.
    Thank you.
    My email address is anabelen_cevallosy@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am applying to FIT right now for the fall 2014 menswear program. After reading the comments I'm really worried that the reason I won't get in is because of my grades in high school and college. I'm working on my essay now and I don't know if I should put in there why my grades are bad and beg for a chance to be accepted in their school. I know that fit offers a program for students with difficult education past but its only for NYC residents and I am from california. Any advice would be awesome!! Here is my email address franchescagalbraith3@gmail.com

    Your Blog has been really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much .
    Your writing helped me a lot ^^

    ReplyDelete