Friday, June 8, 2012

Top Reasons F.I.T. can (and will) REJECT your portfolio

1. Poorly Constructed Garment Test

I define poorly constructed in a couple of ways. The first comes down to bad sewing, jagged seams, an outfit that just doesn't make sense etc. It can also be something extremely generic.

I posted this at number 1 because I believe F.I.T. values sewing skills more than sketching if you are applying for to their Fashion Design Apparel Concentration course. My sketching has always been pretty good, and I got rejected TWICE for having a shitty garment test.

You also have to be careful that you don't try to sew something that's clearly beyond your skill.

2. Novice sketches.
F.I.T. does allow computerized sketching, if you are not an artist and your strength is more in sewing, I'd suggest you take advantage of this just to have clean looking drawings.

Stuff that doesn't really matter after the jump


You're GPA.
If you're portfolio is tight, the GPA isn't a big issue.
If it's low, explain why if you want in you're essay or in person interview. No one's perfect and this isn't Yale.

What F.I.T. is looking for

 

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you back... Can't wait to know more about your advised to apply to FIT
    Xx
    Rulymuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm going to be a senior this year and am going to apply to FIT, which right now is my dream school! My high school only offers one sewing class and I've already taken it, so I'm taking an individual class with the teacher this year. I'm not sure how much this will help since she'll be teaching another class while I am in there. Needless to say, my sewing skills are VERY basic and I saw the garments you sent to FIT (which were amazing by the way) and now I'm wondering if I can make anything good enough to send in. Any suggestions for basic pieces that will show FIT my potential?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Hannah, if you want you can email me at rachelcaderomance@gmail.com with some photos of what you've sewn already, and I'll let you know what I think.
      btw all the items I sewed were made with store bought patterns

      Delete
  3. Hi

    Thanks for all of your postings! I was curious.. when they say "garment" do they mean a single piece or an entire outfit? And do you think it should be 3 different pieces? For example: 1 dress, 1 jumper, 1 jacket.

    Thanks!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine. There's a bit of debate on this. You can do one piece, but I would advise you to do a full look, especially if they don't specify that you can't. Little things like that give you an edge over other applicants.

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    Thanks for your info about FIT requirements. What do you mean by "Novice Sketches"? i'm wondering if i can send you some of my sketches so you can look them over and let me know what you think about it and do you think i can get into FIT with my sketches?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey i have a very important questions do we have to drape fabrics or we can do patternmaking.
    Thanks warda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachel,

    I was wondering what was your GPA when you were accepted into FIT? My husband was told that his portfolio passed, but his 2.75 GPA was too low. He is going back to the local community college to raise his GPA. Did you transfer with college credits? What program were you put into, the one year AAS or 2 year AAS? And what was your GPA? Any info helps.

    Thank you.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete